Thought for the Week

"A hug is a perfect gift - one size fits all and nobody minds if you give it back."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Pinhole - The results

So, the pinhole camera, how did it pan out?

Because the 'negative' is made on light sensitive paper inside the tin, it is very important to keep it in pitch black. Any light that seeps into the container will render the picture useless. You don't see it until you develop the negative, but then, there it is, as black as the ace of spades, right across the paper. Nothing but black.

Bearing this in mind, the next thing you need to know is that in order to take more than one picture, you have to have a changing bag in which to swap over the paper. Inside the bag, by feel alone, you take the lid off your camera and remove the paper, leaving it in the bag to protect it from the light, and then put a new, fresh, unused sheet into the tin and replace the lid.

The next feat of impossibility is to remove the camera from the bag without allowing light in to destroy the other sheets of paper!!! Quite a comical performance indeed. I had at least thought ahead, having placed 10 individual pieces of paper into my bag that would fit in my camera. I had also considered how to overcome the problem of needing to know which pieces I had used and which were blank. I considered a couple of options and settled on a large paper clip over an ordinary piece of folded paper that I could clip over the exposed sheets as I removed them from the camera. Thus the unclipped pieces would be available to use. Genius.

I took 3 exposures in all, ranging from 2½ minutes to 4½ minutes exposure time. Not because I got bored and didn't want to take anymore. I had figured with 10, maybe I stood a slim chance of getting something recognisable!!! When I was fishing around inside the changing bag, as I removed the third exposure from the camera, it was quite clear that the loose pieces of paper had pushed themselves in between the used pieces and I now had a very neat little bundle of paper, all clipped together!! Not so genius huh?

So I had to call it a day at 3. I left the paper in the bag the rest of the week, awaiting Thursday evenings college time.

When I got to college, the tutor mixed up some fresh chemicals for me and I took the changing bag into the dark room.

"Where's your box of paper" he asked.

"I didn't bring it tonight, I just brought the bag and the paper I used for my photographs" I replied.


Even in the dark, I could see he face change expression, and there was no mistaking the sharp intake of breath before he asked me if I had left them loose in the bag all week!! He said they would probably have been damaged by light seepage after a full week like that and explained that when he does pinhole work he puts his box of paper in the bag and removes one piece at a time from the black plastic bag inside the box. When he wants to swap the paper in his camera he removes the used piece and puts it underneath the black plastic bag inside the box, thus always knowing what he has used AND protecting all his paper from the light!!!

If only I had thought of that. If only he had mentioned that the week before!!

So, feeling a little despondent, I began to pass the 10 pieces through the trays of chemicals, knowing full well that only 3 would have anything on them at all. Each one in turn had black edges. That meant that light had entered the bag and the edges that were protruding from the stack had been exposed. First one piece, then the next. No images yet. Then there it was, a white area, then some grey, then.... damn, nope, it was just some chemicals from the table top that had got onto the paper, still no image. I continued 5...6....7...8...9... nothing at all... 10... yes, yes, hop, skip, jump, yes! There it was. The one image I had been waiting for!!

I was ecstatic. To be fair it is a pretty bad photo, but I LOVE it! It is MY photo, I took it, I did it with MY camera that I made, I developed it MYSELF and it was bloody brilliant!!

If you pretend there are no fingerprints, no blotches, and no scratches, ooohhh, and no light infiltration that has misted the top of the picture, then, it's a masterpiece.... what do you reckon?





It's a pinhole version of the first picture under my blog entitled 'New Camera'.

Never one to be beaten, and always striving for perfection I will try some more. Only this time, I will keep my box of paper inside my changing bag, boy is that going to make things easier!! I have already taken one photograph of a bunch of daffodils at the base of a tree in my garden. The background should come out crisp, and the flowers very fluffy as they were moving in the breeze. We shall see!!

18 comments:

kindabiz said...

well done !!! well done !!!!

Ali said...

Kindabiz - thank you, thank you, [Ali takes a bow] not bad for a battered old tin and 25p worth of paper. Am still totally fascinated by it all! Will be able to develop what I have taken this last week tonight!!

Elaine Denning said...

You're a genius!

I can't belive you did it Ali. Not because I think you're incapable, lol, but because it just doesn't seem possible. Well done you! Can't wait to see the daffodils... x

Ali said...

Miss U ~ Go on admit it, you didn't think I was capable did ya!! lol....

I have 7 photo's to develop tonight, I think it was 7 anyway. Each one different, and each one a different exposure time. If I get one image out of them I'll be happy, if I get 3 well defined images I'll be ecstatic!!! Watch this space.

HUGS xx

Mike said...

I'm watching this space!

I'm not going to start praising you up because I fear your head is probably already swelling to the point of exploding lol.

Oh go on then, I'll risk a little bit of praise in your direction.

W.l. D.n. I'. s.r.o.s.y i.p.e.s.d :)

Ali said...

Mike ~ thanks for your concern over the impending explosion of my head,lol ... and I'm glad you were .e.i.u.l. .m.r.s.e!!!
x

Mustafa Şenalp said...

I like your site very much. Thanks for your interest. Have a good day

Cherrie said...

Beautiful photo, Ali! Those time exposures can be very dreamlike.

kindabiz said...

whts happening next, dear ?

Ali said...

Mustafa ~ thanks for dropping by, I'm glad you liked my site.

Cherrie ~ Yes, they can be very dreamlike. I think the subject matter made this one work to be honest.

Kindabiz ~ I know, I know..lol.. I have been very lapse in updating you all. I have developed the others, and will post as soon as I can find a few quiet minutes... honest I will.

Mustafa Şenalp said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dan said...

Ali, you are awesome! This pinhole photo is brilliant! I think it's better than the photos with the manufactured camera!

And I love your thought for the day. If I haven't laughed at least 20 times during the day I consider it a wasted day.

Ali said...

Dan ~ Stop it, I refer you to Mikes comment above... I'm getting close to exploding...lol...

Seriously though, thanks for taking a moment out of your busy day to comment, it means a lot.

Due to serious lack of time on my part, think of my 'Thought for the day' more as a 'Thought for the week' ... sometimes longer!

IT Barman said...

well done on the pic, after having a look I never knew that folkestone/Seabrook/Hythe had some great views, I guess I should take more time to look

Ali said...

It's surprising what you don't see when you live in an area isn't it Barman. I must admit, I had forgotten how beautiful some of the towns around here were. Are you local to this part of Kent?

IT Barman said...

Very Local, i currently live in folkestone

Ali said...

WOW! That close!!! So not just a fellow Kentonian then, but a fellow Folkestonian!!

IT Barman said...

See blogland really isn't that big :)