Thought for the Week

"A hug is a perfect gift - one size fits all and nobody minds if you give it back."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



New Toy

I have been fighting the urge to update my existing digital camera with a digital SLR camera since I first signed up for the Photography course about 6 months ago. I had convinced myself that my little 'point and shoot' would suffice. Until, that is, I actually started the course. It quickly became apparent that in order to really learn about different shooting techniques and camera settings we were all going to need the use of a digital SLR as well as a 35mm film SLR camera.

The college have a few which they loan out, but because we are at the bottom of the pile, in so far as we are a once-a-week evening class, we cannot have them on permanent loan for the period of the course, but have to sign them out for a week at a time. I figured right off that creativity does not sit comfortably with enforced time frames of a week here and there.

The other option was to borrow one from a friend who was trusting enough to loan out their expensive equipment. In this scenario, I was lucky enough to be offered the loan of both the 35mm and the digital SLR's. I nervously took possession of the film camera before the course began, but the digital was not so forthcoming. The lender needed to use it on a trip away during the first week that we were required to take a series of shots for a project, so I began to wonder if I could justify buying my own.

I have always been a bit backwards in coming forwards when it comes to spending a large sum of money on myself. I have no problem spending it on other people, or the house. I think the difficulties I have with spending on myself, particularly when it is for pleasure, stem from the years of financial hardship I endured in the early years of my marriage when I had a young family and rarely enough money to clothe and feed them. I would always go without so that I could afford to provide for them as best I could, and this involuntary reaction became so ingrained in my nature, that I sometimes have difficulty in putting myself at the top of the list occasionally now

At christmas time I usually receive a bonus in my salary, which varies in amount and is dependant on how well the company has performed during the previous year. This, I decided, is what I would use to buy my camera, although I thought it would be better to buy it now from our savings and put it back from my bonus; no sense in waiting until my course was a third of the way through if I was buying it anyway!!

So I spoke to G, and asked if he minded me doing that. He was very dis-interested at first, which I found a little disconcerting. He said "why buy one when you can borrow one?" I explained that I really wanted to be able to use it in London this week and I couldn't borrow one til next week. His next reply was "Why don't you wait for the sales in January?" Hrrumph. He didn't seem to be getting the point. If I was going to spend a great deal of money on a good quality camera, why miss half the course before I bought it?

Finally he relented "OK, if you really must have one now, but you have just spoilt my surprise for your birthday. I wanted to get you something special as it's your 40th!" lol, trust me. So we agreed that we would go and look, after researching on the internet and choose a camera, and that he would buy it for me as an early birthday present!











And here it is.

It's a Canon EOS 400D + a 75-300mm zoom lens which came half price if purchased with the camera.

I am just waiting for my compact flash card to arrive which I ordered from an online store and I'm fit to go. I hope to be able to take some amazing shots in London later in the week.

9 comments:

Ali said...

NO, not that kind of toy Cherrie!

Elaine Denning said...

LoL.

Ali, I am sooooo jealous! Like you, I have difficulty in spending money on myself, especially when it's a luxury rather than essential. Having it as a birthday gift is the ideal solution. (Guess what's going on my xmas list this year?)

I hope G realises that it won't end here. Next will be the lenses for every occasion....flash units, tripods, backdrops, props, light meter, lights, dark room....lol.

I really can't wait to see you progress with this and watch you grow. It's going to be like having children all over again! I'm actually quite excited:)

Ali said...

Awwwwwww (gush), Mum, I will make you proud!

I do feel very, very lucky to have such a fantastic birthday gift, and my conscience is eased a little by the fact that the whole family will hopefully benefit and enjoy the results of it many times over during the next few lifetimes!

Just think, I might even be able to take the photos at my kids weddings one day

Elaine Denning said...

OMG! Can you imagine the pressure? What if you got half way through and realised you'd left the lens cap on? Lol. Actually, I'd snap away, but hire someone too. That way, I could still enjoy the wine!

Cherrie said...

Good for you, Ali! It's hard sometimes to keep secrets from your life partner. In this case G knew you so well, you both had the same idea.

I'm sure you will love the camera, and I'm excited about the possibilities it will open up. Hardin and I will be very interested to see the photos you take, since we are hoping for some photo trips when we get there.

(No, not THAT kind of photos. Well, maybe just a few . . .)

alphawoman said...

I can't wait to see the photo's. I finally bought a Nikon D-50 for my birthday in March and it is the best gift I ever gave myself. Happy shooting!!!

Ali said...

Cherrie ~ I will see what I can capture whilst in London tomorrow. There is some fantastic architecturally beautiful buildings and bridges in the city.

Am quite excited about it. Hopefully the rain will hold off when we are on the London Eye and I will be able to get some awesome shots of the illuminated city at night.

Ali said...

Mary ~ Welcome, I love new visitors.

I have been tossing up which camera to buy for a week or more. All my research led me to either a Canon 350 or 400 or the Nikon D-50. Both seem to be very popular choices.

Am about to pop over to see you in the hope that you are showing some of your master pieces off.

I have just received the CF Cards I ordered onine, so there will be no stopping me now!!

Stop by againg soon Mary.

Hugs x

Ali said...

girlfriend ~ Welcome. I'm very lucky, have the urge to be all artistic with it now!!