Thought for the Week

"A hug is a perfect gift - one size fits all and nobody minds if you give it back."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Photographic work

I know, I know, you're all fed up with seeing those damn fireworks on here... or maybe no-one is visiting anymore cos it's been so long since I posted!!!

As I don't have the energy to blog, but am missing you all so much I thought I would share a couple of pieces I have been working on for the current unit of portraiture and the human form in my AS course. If you haven't already guessed, this is where my limited energy is being spent!

After researching other photographers and/or artists we are meant to try to replicate at least one piece and also to show that our own photographic work has been directly influenced by what we have researched.

With this in mind, whilst conducting my research I came across this composite photograph by the great Jerry Uelsmann. It touched me instantly, being such a strong image I knew it would be the one I would recreate.

This is Uelsmann work, entitled 'Symbolic Mutation', produced in 1961




This is my reproduction with my own photo's which I have titled "Wife Beater"



I was also influenced by some of his other work. Many of his images involve hands, often with the sea or a landscape in them and figures of some description.

The following, although not a copy of his work was influenced by it, and is a piece that I am really pleased with.

I entitled it "In God's Hands"



13 comments:

Elaine Denning said...

Ali, these are effing fantastic...you must be so proud of yourself. Are these the ones that scored top marks, because I'm not surprised.

It's about time you started selling your work I think, and said goodbye to that desk job. I'd definitely buy these!

On a different note, it's so good to see you back here...I've really missed you. I hope things start getting better for you soon.

Hugs. xx

Akelamalu said...

WOW those are incredible, you should be really proud!

I pop in most days to see if you've posted, I just thought you were taking a break, sorry to hear you're not 100%. x

Ali said...

Laney ~ Wow, I am so glad you liked them, they took quite a lot of time and work to get the end result, but it was definitely worth it. I have so loved doing these and can't wait til my brain comes up with another idea for me to create.
On the other note, not a lot of change recently, had really terrible meeting at work with you know who today, @~*&%^£$+}? about covers it. Ring when (if) you get any free time and I'll tell you about it. I may need to visit the CAB!

Hugs x

Akelamalu ~ Thanks so much for your encouragement, I have invested a lot of time in these so it is sometimes hard to know if they actually have the impact they were meant to, nice to know they have.

Lady B ~ Aww, you too are so kind and I thank you for taking the time to let me know you enjoyed the photos. The hardest part for me is evolving the idea, once I have that I create, alter, improve and adjust until it is just what I intend. Give it a go, you may surprise yourself!

Elaine Denning said...

&^%$*(;@ is an absolute %^&*()$£.
I'll definitely call soon. x

mrsnesbitt said...

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am not supposed to be here as I am having a break from blogging whilst i get the decorating done, but HAD to pop in and say great to see you have been doing some wonderful pieces.

Stay OK!
Love
Dxxxx

Ali said...

Laney ~ Look forward to it. x

Denise ~ Isn't it awful when you can't keep away, but I'm honoured you stayed long enough to comment, thank you. x

cathy said...

very powerful images.
My first thought was of mental rather than physical abuse.

photowannabe said...

A+++++ excellent work Ali. I have missed your blogging and am glad to see you back if only for a little bit. Keep up the wonderful work and I agree that these are pieces of Art that could be sold.

Ali said...

Cathy ~ That puts another meaning on it altogether, I hadn't even considered it as mental abuse!

Photowannabe ~ What a sweet thing to say. I figured as I am doing the work for college anyway I could share it on my blog with all my friends and that way I can keep in touch.

Hey, maybe I should watermark these images!!!

Unknown said...

Your pics are really excellent. I especially like 'In God's Hands'. I'm glad to see you have felt well enough to post, I've been popping by and I was getting quite worried that you may have had a major relapse. I really hope that you feel tons better soon and I look forward to seeing more of your work if and when you share it. Take care of yourself Ali !

Andrea said...

WOW, amazing pictures.

Gina said...

Astounding, I just keep looking at them. They really say so much and are so beautiful. Amazing work.

Ali said...

Pauline ~ I have missed posting too, I may bore you with more college work when I have something original as that's where my 'well' time is spent. No major relapse, just trying to stick to the recouperation plan!

Andrea ~ Welcome, and thx for commenting, glad you liked my photo's

Gina ~ Glad you think they say a lot, obviously the first was a copy of someone else's work but theh second was all mine, and I am really pleased with the result, it is exactly what I had intended.