Thought for the Week

"A hug is a perfect gift - one size fits all and nobody minds if you give it back."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Pinhole - Chapter Two

OK, so I may be a little late, but I got here in the end!!

Several of you have asked me what happened to the second pinhole photograph I took and have been patiently waiting for me to post the results.

Well...

I developed the picture at college a couple of weeks ago, duly washed it and let it dry. I was pleased with the result, at least there was an image, and eagerly scanned it and saved the scanned negative onto my key drive to take home and work on.

So far so good....

I did the same with two other pinholes I had taken. One was of my Mums front garden and one was of the beach. Each one was processed and scanned and carefully saved.

I put the negatives into an envelope to protect them and keep them from getting scratched and took everything home. I even remembered to remove the last negative from under the scanner!!

I went home and proudly showed off my new pinhole pics. :o)

I took them to my Mums and showed her.

I took them into work and showed anyone and everyone that looked even slightly interested!!

So far so good....

I spent some time working on the images, reverting them from negative and adjusting the sharpness and contrast etc, but didn't have time to write about them. College work had to take priority, so for the next few days I concentrated on that. I have several key drives, and I tend to take whatever I am currently working on into work and spend my lunch break on it, generally this means a little less time is required on them at home; at least in theory it does.

Once I had achieved the necessary college results, I decided it was time to get this entry written.

OK.
1 computer - check
1 blog account - check
1 pair of hands with fingers all attached - check
1 keyboard and one mouse - check
1 key drive - check

I signed in to my blog, flexed my fingers, and was poised over the keyboard. I decided to upload the images first. Does anyone else find it frustrating that you write half a page, and then when you insert a picture, you have to drag it all the way down from the top where it plants itself?

I find it tiresome, especially when, not knowing about these things, I find all of a sudden I have extra line spaces wherever I have used the enter key and have to go back into the html and delete all those pidling spans... oh, just me then!

So, I put my key into the USB port, it was empty. I have two identical ones, I had picked up the wrong one obviously.

I put the other one in the port.

College stuff.

I put the third, different, key drive into the computer.

Nothing.

Damn.

Empty.

Blank.

Shite.

So there you have it. After all the years I have used computers, I had managed to delete my pinhole images before I had transferred them to my computer. Bugger.

This is the first opportunity I have had to rescan them, and hence the reason you have waited so long!!! Told you I had a bad memory!!! The air was a little blue for a while... lol.. but at least I still had the negatives.

This is the negative of a photograph I took in my back garden. The two vertical dark lines are where the light has bounced around the curves of my tin because I used gloss paper.





Once I had inverted and flipped the photograph, this is the scene that I shot. Due to my insane stupidity, I have only spent about 5 minutes touching this one up, but still, is not bad for my second attempt I guess.



I have now purchased some matt paper and have taken a few more, yet to be developed. Hopefully this will eliminate the light bounce and leave a clearer, cleaner image.

7 comments:

C Brow said...

Nice work with the pinhole camera! I love the way the image bends away from center with these cameras. Neat effect. I haven't taken my camera out in a little while, but I hope to be able to do so soon. Keep it up!

Ali said...

C Brow ~ Thanks for stopping by. As you see, this is only my second attempt so I am quite green at this but already I love it. I agree about the bend in the image, completely alters the perspective. More than that, I like the softness of the pinhole images and the infinite depth of field.

I hope you get yours out soon too... April 29th is coming.. World Pinhole Day.. !! Go for it.

Elaine Denning said...

World Pinhole Day? WTF? LoL.

Ali...these are great! But do you know what I love more than the pictures? YOUR HOUSE!!!

I am coming to visit. I am...I am!

Ali said...

Laney ~ lol, World Pinhole Day.. I know, I thought the same, but is a cool idea don't ya think?

That 'house' is two house Laney, lol, is not as big as it looks, its a semi...lol... but regardless of the size of my house, you are always welcome here, you know that.

I do actually have a guest small 'guest house' which I took a pinhole of the other day. If I develop it at college tomorrow I post it so you can see where you could stay!!! How's that?

Hugs x

Elaine Denning said...

You have TWO houses? Shit. Can I marry you?

Mike said...

I'm really impressed. Because of the way the image warps I reckon you could get some fantastic creative shots with a little imagination.

You mentioned the thing about sticking photos into your blog post and having to drag them down to where you want them. It is a headache. What I've started doing is adding all my pictures first in reverse order the adding the text later. It's a lot simpler and quicker.

Back to your pinhole camera, I'm looking forward to seeing some more pictures from it.

Ali said...

Mike ~ are you saying I'm not creative?? lol, just kidding. You're right though, once I have taken a few more, and worked out just how 'super wide-angled' the camera is, I reckon I will start trying to use the bend/warp creatively. The path that I stood the camera on in my garden is in fact completely straight, it does not curve at all.

Re uploading pics to blogger, I have started trying to remember to do the same... put them in first, in reverse order... I just have a REALLY bad memory!!
Hugs