Thought for the Week

"A hug is a perfect gift - one size fits all and nobody minds if you give it back."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Today's News

While writers block is turning out to be rather more of a hinderance than usual, I came up with a backup plan! I'm resourceful like that!

OK. So I came up with a plan completetly by accident, give me a break.

I logged onto the internet this morning and my home page had the headline:

33 killed in college massacre

This story has been all over our news, and I guess it will be for the next week or more. I felt I wanted to say something, but what could anyone say, other than the obvious?

How was it allowed to happen?

Should America think about tightening their gun laws?

This is the question that is always raised, at least here in Britain, everytime we here tragic news story's like these. These story's have become all too familiar, and the trouble with that is the shock value when the story breaks diminishes with every new one. The shock value, I guess, is what makes people take action for change.

Anyway, I digress. I quickly decided two things. One, that there were probably not sufficient words to express what I felt. Two, selfishly, I wanted to write about more light-hearted things.

So I read down the list of News headlines.

Call to bring back Grammar Schools

As a past Grammar school student myself, I back this plan 100%, but is not very light-hearted, so I move onto the next one.

2.5M households facing fuel poverty

Fuel prices. Grrrrrr, don't get me started on that one, how can the government allow these companies to raise their prices by 20 - 30%? Nope, this is definitely NOT lighthearted.

I continue looking down the list of headlines.

Politics

Education

Crime


... all doom and gloom.

Is there nothing, apart from blogland, that could shine a beacon of smiles today? Then I saw this one!!

Hungarian Motorway blocked by 5000 rabbits

I just had to click the link to read the story. You gotta haven't ya? How the hell do 5000 rabbits come to be on the motorway?

Mental image No. 1:



Maybe that's not what they meant!!!

How do rabbits block the motorway? Are they being herded by a shepherd like sheep are, or by a farmer like cows? I don't think so!! lol

So I openend the link and read the story.

BUDAPEST (Reuters) - Hungary's busiest highway, connecting Budapest with the Austrian capital Vienna, was closed early on Monday after a truck carrying rabbits crashed, letting 5,000 of the animals loose on the road, police said.

... So, let me get this straight. The lorry crashed, the doors flew open, 5000 rabbits ran out of the back of the truck, and decided to conduct a sit-down protest on the motorway right?

The M1 motorway was closed around 40 km (25 miles) west of Budapest and could remain closed for hours while police try to capture the escaped animals, highway police spokeswoman Viktoria Galik said.

... So, let me get this straight, the lorry crashed, the doors flew open, 5000 rabbits ran out of the back of the truck, and decided to conduct a sit-down protest on the motorway right?

Get real. Closed for several hours?
You mean to tell me that a rabbit, on an outing with 4999 of his nearest and dearest is going to just sit there.

How long do you think it takes a rabbit to leg it?

What would you do?
Stand there, with all your mates because you miss that little cage you were trapped in...

... throw a party and entertain the motorists...

... or would you run for it...
Hey, Watership Down, comes to mind! Where is Fiver and his sixth sense when you need him huh?


"There are thousands of them on the road but they're not using their newfound freedom well; they're just sitting around, eating grass and enjoying the sun," Galik told Reuters.

Ok. So, the lorry crashed, and 5000 rabbits DID run out of the back of the truck, and sit on the motorway!

Stupid rabbits.


Run.

Escape.

Run for your lives little bunnies.

12 comments:

Mike said...

If the police don't hurry up there'll be 10,000 by tomorrow. You know what rabbits are like for breeding.

Ali said...

Mike ~ I'm not sure I know what you mean honey, I can only assume you are talking about something my sweet, innocent little ears have not heard about before!!!!

.. There goes another plying fig!!

x

Elaine Denning said...

Where did my comment go???

Grrrrrrrr.

Elaine Denning said...

I think I need to do it again!

Ok...ROFLMAO! Ali that was brilliant, and I loved the way you put your photoshop skills to the test.
I have a feeling that if the rabbits were made of rubber, with batteries inserted, they'd have cleared the motorway a hell of a lot quicker!

I must say, all that news was new to me. My home page looks like this:

Word of the Day
Quote of the Day
Crossword
Pacman
Space Invaders
Sudoku
Wanker: Definition

hehehhe

Seriously, the gun laws in the States NEED to ne changed. If we were as liberated over here, I don't think I'd ever leave the house. In fact, Dan would never have gone to school. He'd have been illiterate and alive. (Actually, I'd have taught him myself - something I still wish I had done sometimes, but that's a whole new story.)

Ali said...

Laney ~ I was hungry and ate the first one!

Ali said...

And by replying to both of yours, my comment total looks a lot healthier!!!! :o) See, not just a pretty face!

I agree, if the rabbits were rubber and they had batteries in them, the Motorway would have been empty in a fraction of the time... and if not, the poor souls caught in the traffic jams would have been quite content to wait!!

Oohh, do you think thats why 'Duracell' use bunnies in their battery ads???

Damn my brain, why does it think of these random things? LOL

Dan said...

I love that you managed to find a fun story in the midst of this terrible tragedy in my own country. It's terrible but it's also very taxing because it's the only thing on the news here these days. And there's so much more to life than just tragedy.

Thanks! :)

Ali said...

Dan ~ I agree, as awful as a tragedy is, there is so much more going on in the world. The news here too, is heavily weighted to this tragedy, and I can't help feeling it would be easier to stomach if it were more about the poor, innocent victims than all about the gunman.

I'm glad my entry provided a light hearted moment for you.
x

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog, by way of Cat and just want to say I love your humor! The rabbit story was hilarious!
I also live in the states, and yes, the Virginia Tech massacre was horrible.

Ali said...

littlewing ~ A sense of humour is often the one thing that helps us all to keep things in perspective in what is often a cruel world.

Thanks for dropping by, am on my way over to your place now.

IT Barman said...

Hi ali, love the rabbit story and your guest house looks great :)

Ali said...

IT ~ The 'guest house' is the first thing my friends young children head for when they go into the garden.

Reckon it's in need of a paint of coat though.

Or a coat of paint!!!