Thought for the Week

"A hug is a perfect gift - one size fits all and nobody minds if you give it back."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



I'm Bored

I'm bored with my blog. No.. wait, don't run away. I'm not bored with writing in it, just bored with it's appearance. I have this urge to give it a make-over, but don't really know where to start.

Any suggestions anyone? Where's the best place to get a new design for my blog, something a little bit more jazzy, modern and bright. I don't know much about how these are done, so I need an 'off-the-shelf' design so to speak. Help

I am in the updating mood, and have spent the last hour adjusting all my 'labels' for my posts so that I can put up a link list to the different types of entries I have, for example, my photos, or 55 Fiction etc. Now that's done, I want a fresh clean look to my page.

I'm like that at home, although not so much nowadays as I used to be. I get bored with the room layout, and have to change it around. It's another trait I inherited from my Mum.

How many times, as a child, would I return home from school to find the sofa where the TV had been, the TV where the units had been and the units where the sofa had been! It was never a surprise. It was more of a regular occurance in our house. Mum's no better now. Still, I go to visit, to find the room re-arranged. Now that she is on her own, in a one bedroomed ground floor flat, she not only moves the furniture around the room, she moves the rooms around. Not literally of course.. lol.. but she often swaps the living room with the bedroom next door to it.

So, my friends (and Mike), how do I go about updating this here 'room'. I don't really like any of the other current blogger templates, but some of you have great looking sites, where did they come from?

All suggestions gratefully received!

13 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

I am still learning!
Taught myself everything.
Like to use my own stuff ie photos, you take some fantastic stuff...why not use some favourite photos and get the colours to reflect?

We'll have a chat!

Dx

RUTH said...

Like MrsN I'm self taught (not as clever as her though); I'd love a three column blog, downloaded one once and lost all my widgets...it looked such a mess I reverted to my old one. Maybe if you see a blog of a layout you like you could ask the author where they got it from.

Elaine Denning said...

There are loads of places to download a template...but beware. Not all of them are compatable with the new blogger. You can stil use them, but you'll lose the abilty to have labels (and whatever other funky stuff the new blogger gives you.)

Try this place for starters:
http://www.pannasmontata-templates.net/templates/

Of course, you can always choose a look you like and fiddle with it...change the colours, the picture etc. Most people don't mind you doing that. I think using your own photography is a great idea!

If you need any help, let me know :)

Elaine Denning said...

Rememberto save your current template in Notepad first!

Ali said...

Mrs N ~ I am totally self taught, oh, except for the bit about how to make a button and link it to something particular, Laney helped me with that, but the rest is all mine. I even worked out all by myself how to put that photo of mine in the header - before new blogger gave us the tools to do it the easy way!!!

Ruth ~ 3 column blog templates is what I was searching for yesterday. Failing that, one that has a wider writing space.

Does anyone out there know why blog templates have such a narrow useable area? Why do I have to have all that wasted area either side? That has always puzzled me.

Ali said...

Laney ~ Thanks for the link, I will have a look when I get a moment, and thanks for the reminder to back up what I have already!!! If I find one I like, I will almost certainly fiddle with it, I did it with this one. A girl needs something to fiddle with doesn't she!! x

Elaine Denning said...

I never understood the blank space on either side either!

Unknown said...

I am still learning this whole blogging thing, in fact I'm still wondering how I got here at all, so I'm about as much use to you as a chocolate fireguard in respect of your current quest. Good luck though, I look forward to seeing the results!

Cherrie said...

Oh, my . . . Laney could tell you stories about how scared I am about touching my blog! But I know she (and others) have done a wonderful job changing the appearance of theirs, so if you decide to plunge ahead, good luck, but be careful!

Ali said...

Pauline ~ You and me both honey. I still can't believe I'm a part of this place sometimes, but I'm so glad that I am.

Cherrie ~ Since Laneys link, I downloaded a template I really liked but blogger was rattling on about there being something wrong with some part of the code!!! If only I knew what the feck he was on about!!! lol

I may have to settle for just updating the colour scheme and maybe put a new picture in the header for now. :o(

Ali said...

However... Whilst researching how to upload a new template, I did sit and read several other help page files, and I reckon I'm gonna have a go at altering this layout to a 3 column one all by myself!!!!

Fingers crossed! x

Anonymous said...

I have fine a template that I like the layout of and then just play with it and the graphics until it is my dream blog. :)

Ali said...

DWQ ~ It's fun to play around with the site, and I love being able to freshen it up.