Thought for the Week

"A hug is a perfect gift - one size fits all and nobody minds if you give it back."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



100 Things - About Me

I seem to have a huge blogging brick wall of late, and so I am going to post this list that I have been working on in fits and starts for the last 7-8 months. I have seen this lists on the blogs of others, some friends, some random, and I always find them interesting. It was meant to be 100 things about me, but turns out I'm not that interesting and after all this time I have only managed 60!

Some of you have known me for a while now, some of you share emails with me and check up on me when I go AWOL, which is touching. Some of you have expressed a desire to know more about me, so I have decided to post this entry as an unfinished piece, to be added to as and when I feel like it, or maybe not at all.


  1. I've been married to a wonderful man for 20 years

  2. I have 3 children

  3. I enjoy photography, particularly those shots other people wouldn't think to take

  4. I'm hormonal - often

  5. I can burp (belch) on request

  6. I can make a Concorde shape with my forefinger (don't ask - I taught myself to when I was 8 ok)

  7. I am still a teenager at heart, think I may always be

  8. I had a large cyst on my thyroid and had half of it removed. (Half the thyroid, not half the cyst, they removed all of that)

  9. I am usually very patient

  10. I put family needs before my own, every time

  11. I enjoy driving, but have absolutely no sense of direction.

  12. I can play the recorder

  13. I learnt to play the clarinet when I was at school

  14. I was in the Brownies and Girl Guides!

  15. I once went to primary school, without my skirt on.

  16. I like red.

  17. I have 2 sisters and 1 brother

  18. I was born at RAF Scampton, Lincolnshire

  19. I adore my husband. He is my soul mate.

  20. I lost my father when I was 28 and miss him every single day.

  21. I love to watch storms

  22. I have a completely unnatural fear of fire

  23. I was in the school netball teams at primary and secondary school

  24. All my children were born by caesarian section

  25. I have a logical mind and a high IQ, but am not great at general knowledge

  26. I can't swim very well

  27. I joined Weight Watchers in 2006 and lost 3 stone in less than a year

  28. I hate vegetables

  29. I love the ocean and the beach

  30. I can bend my smallest finger all the way down to the palm of my hand without bending any other fingers (yes, I taught myself that one too)

  31. I think the smell of a warm, dry pavement as the rain begins to fall is fantastic

  32. I'm soon to be a Great Aunt for the very first time. Well I was when I started compiling this list, she was born in December 2006

  33. I have been researching my family tree for the last 10 years

  34. I adore elephants

  35. I suffered quite badly with bronchitis as a child

  36. I joined the County Search & Rescue team as a volunteer at the beginning of 2007

  37. I had a hysterectomy at 36

  38. I could happily eat HOT curry for dinner every day (I mean vindaloo hot, not a manky old korma!)

  39. I can't stand lazy people

  40. I hate tomatoes but love tomato soup

  41. I enjoy watching Sunday league football in which my son plays.

  42. I have a good sense of humour (when I'm not feeling hormonal)

  43. I carry a Donor Card

  44. I used to go blood doning, but then I became anaemic and they stopped me.

  45. I like my own space, occasionally

  46. I completed a GCSE Photography course this year, never too old to learn.

  47. My first 'kiss' was at the age of 8

  48. I am allergic to the sun, yep, really

  49. I love people watching.

  50. I have never been caught speeding.

  51. I'm hormonal - often (did I mention that?)

  52. I adore real butter shortbread

  53. My Mum is also my best friend

  54. I love the sight of a man in leathers and the deep roar of a big engine (motorbikes!!!)

  55. Since I moved to a house with a larger garden I have enjoyed growing my own vegetables

  56. I experienced my first earthquake, a small 4.3 on the richter scale, in April 2007

  57. When I experienced my first earthquake, I had a hangover, not a good mix

  58. After over 10 years of research, I finally located my maternal Grandfather and laid flowers on his grave.

  59. I gave up smoking 4 years ago with the aid of a hypnotist

  60. I work in admin, and long for the day I can be released from a desk permanently

13 comments:

In Ink said...

We have a few things in common!

3 - I enjoy photography (used to freelance concerts in my spare time).

5 - I can burp (belch) on request (and frequently without it being requested).

7 - I'm a big kid too! I'm so determined to stay that way that i have a pact with my son-in-law...he promised to shoot me if I ever get overly serious.

10 - The Family thing, yep!

11 - I enjoy driving too but I can find most places in the UK, after driving there once, without the aid of a map. Here in the US? I can't find my butt with both hands. Road layout and signing is atrocious.

17 - I was the one brother. I feel his pain.

21 - Yeah! Storms!!! Had three hurricanes go over right my house (Polk County) a couple of years ago. Awesome. Intense. Freaking scary!

25 - I have an IQ too.

38 - I LOVE a good ring-stinger!

40 - Tomato soup...mmmmmmm.

42 - I have a sense of humour.

45 - Personal space is good. Shared space is also nice..

46 - I started a GCSE Photography course...but the teacher was a complete gibbon so I taught myself.

47 - ~blush~

49 - People are strange...ya gotta love it!

52 - Yum and ~drool~.

53 - Always!

56 - I 'experienced' an earthquake in Greece...an aftershock of a really big one that hit just before my arrival...but slept through it.

59 - I once gave up smoking (started again) with the aid of a hypnotist. She punched me in the head until I promised not to smoke any more. Money well spent!

Cherrie said...

I am amazed at people (like Laney) who have completed the 100 things entry. 60 is plenty!

You don't like the sun, like to watch storms, and love the smell of wet, hot pavement. Well, that all fits!

Regarding 51--yes, you did!

Mike said...

For somebody with a high IQ I'd have thought you'd be able to count a little better than you do! lol ;)

Elaine Denning said...

Great list Ali. We have a fair bit in common too...I think perhaps you knew that already though! (I do like manky old korma and veggies though.)

List of things to do when we meet:

1.Find lots of men in leather.
2.Watch them.
3.Make concorde shapes at them.
4.Throw tomatoes at them.
5.Laugh.

Ali said...

Michael ~ You do make me laugh, but you're NOT supposed to make your comment funnier than the blog!!! lol...
"yum and drool" exactly
17 - cheeky sod, he used to get 'special' treatment 'because he's the only boy' borrocks.. lol

Mike ~ ?????? damn you. Do you know how long I've spent looking for something wrong with the numbers in my list!!!! lol.... what's wrong with my counting.. go on then... this is your moment.. lol

Laney ~ NO WAY! You do concorde too????? oooohhhhhh lol. We are going to have a brill time aren't we.

In Ink said...

I can do concorde too :o)

Ali said...

Michael ~ maybe we should start the concorde club!! lol.. I'll show you mine if you show me yours ;o)

IT Barman said...

Concorde Fingers WTF?????

Great list Ali and i to can say that I have now been in an Earthquake :)

Elaine Denning said...

Um...no. I can't do the concorde. I was hoping you would teach me!

(The Concorde...I think I need to google that, and pass it on to Cherrie...)

Looks like you and Michael are on your own :) Lol. x

ellie said...

I love these lists, I'm a nosey bugger!
Number 54!!! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ali said...

IT ~ I'll post a picture for you and it will be obvious!!!

Laney ~ I'll teach you how to do it in October, until then p'haps Michael and I could make you an honoury member!!

Ellie ~ I'm not nosey, I'm just interested in people!!!!!! lol, damn, my nose is getting bigger.
No. 54, it's what wet dreams were made for! ;o)

Anonymous said...

curry=nice.........tomatoe=nasty

Ali said...

Loz ~ yeah, you would obviously be a great dinner guest at my house!!!