Thought for the Week

"A hug is a perfect gift - one size fits all and nobody minds if you give it back."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Spring Clean

Well as you can see, I have been very busy over the weekend, I hope you like my new place.

I checked out the link offered to me by Laney, (as well as a dozen or more Google gave me), and realised it was the same site I checked out about a 6 months ago. There was one template, with 3 columns, which I was particularly fond of and I downloaded the file.

Having backed up my then current blog, I started a new blog and imported the 'new' template. Unfortunately blogger was under the impression that there was something wrong with the coding and was having none of it.

Whilst I had been reading bloggers help files for other things, I came across the instructions to alter a 2 column layout to a 3 column. My stubborn streak hates computer programmes getting the better of me, and it is not unusual for me to spend hours trawling help files to ensure that I have the upper hand and not my computer!! So armed with this new information, I decided I would simply add an extra column to one of bloggers own templates! Voila!

Once I had added the extra column to the left hand side of the page, I played around with the wrapper widths so that I could use the whole width of my screen too... yeah... I'm really getting into this now.... what's next?

I added my 'links list' that I sorted out on Thursday last week and wondered what photo to use in the blog header. I couldn't decide on a picture, nothing seemed quite right, so instead I opened up Photoshop, began with a blank document and created my own masterpiece of abstract artwork.

I still have some adjustments to make to some of the text colour, but that will be done as I go along.

Normal entries will resume shortly!

20 comments:

Dan said...

Beautiful new look Ali! I love the three columns. Can you tell me where you got the template from? My blog seems a bit squished and I may want to experiment with widening it a bit like this and haveing three columns. Hugs!

cathy said...

It looks great and how smart are you for getting it this way?!

I thought I was doing well when I worked out adding pics and making links in a post.LOL.

mrsnesbitt said...

Wow! You have the bug now!
I am one of those people who love changing furniture around...well my blog is a bit like that! LOL! Love experimenting and making changes. Once you have done it once and saved what you need you will be able to experiment again!

Great stuff Ali!
Dx

Ali said...

Dan ~ Thx for checking up on me whilst my site was Dan, that was sweet of you. x

So glad you like the new site layout. The template is Bloggers Minima Black and then I adjusted the html code to add the extra column by using the help files. Then I adjusted a few other things, just because I could!! lol

I Will email you the link, and the wrapper widths I used if you're interested, let me know honey.
Hugs x

Ali said...

Cathy ~ I bet your one of life's optimists aren't you? I said I got it like this because I am stubborn, you say it's because I'm smart!!! I like your version much better..lol. x

Mrs N ~ They say a change is as good as a rest don't they, and I'm glad I moved my furniture around here, I love the end result.

I just have to go back through the archives for entries where I have grey or dark coloured text and alter those as they can't now be seen on the black!!! x

Elaine Denning said...

Wow! You've been busy!
I love it....especialy the way your photos look now. They really stand out against the black, and I love the border around them.

Well done you!

Ali said...

Laney ~ Thx, so glad you like my new home. It feels a little more modern than the last place, it will do for now.

I am pretty stoked that I did it all on my own!!!! :o) (big cheesy grin)

Unknown said...

Love the new decor, clever you!

Ali said...

Pauline ~ I love your family. Now, I'm smart and clever!!! Will you adopt me??? lol. x

RUTH said...

Oh well done...I'd love to have that third column :o( Think I need some serious HTML lessons.

Momentary Madness said...

Very flash indeed. Yes I do like it, "no if and or but"
Y;-) Sincerely Paddy.

ellie said...

Clever clogs! I love the new look Ali! And no wide margins! I'm well impressed!

Ali said...

Ruth ~ really it wasn't that difficult, honestly, but it was fun!

Paddy ~ Thanks sweetie. So glad your back with us, I hope you made progress in the right direction while you were away. x

Ellie ~ Thx, I still keep thinking I have signed into the wrong blog... lol... Getting rid of those wide margins was one thing I was determined to work out. They used to drive me nutty, such a waste of space.

Ali said...

3 COLUMN HELP LINK:

This is a link to the help file I used to add the extra column to my blog. I thought I would post it here as a few of you have either asked me for it or said you would like to have a third column yourselves. It really is easy to follow the step-by-step instructions... backup you template, and have a go!!

http://hackosphere.blogspot.com/3006/09/3-column-templates-for-blogger-beta_01.html

Good Luck!

Mike said...

Oh come off it, it's shite!!!!! What the hell were you thinking? You been doing drugs or something?

The was a joke ;)

I like it very much and I really like the lack of wide margins. I'm going to be working on my margins over the coming week or two.

BTW, this A to Z photo thing, can I have Action for the letter A or does it have to be an actual thing such as an apple?

Ali said...

Mike ~ It's rather good isn't it!!! I'm so smart and clever, I've been told!!!

The A to Z can be Action if you wish, I have seen another entry that was for action.. so fill your boots.

Dan said...

Ali, don't mention it (checking on you). :). And yes, yes, please send me the link and the widths, etc. That's very sweet of you Hon. Hugs!

Ali said...

OK Dan, email coming your way. x

Evening said...

A beautiful new look. I think it was worth all the effort.
xo

Ali said...

Evening ~ I only realised yesterday that it is VERY similar to your own. Coming to yours makes me feel like I'm right at home now!! x