Thought for the Week

"A hug is a perfect gift - one size fits all and nobody minds if you give it back."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



London Day 2

London Day 1 can be read here


Day 2 began at 7am, after about 4 hours sleep for the both of us following our inability to stop talking the night before and actually go to sleep!

Today, we were going to meet our American blogger friends Cherri & Hardin. We had to be out of our hotel by 10:00 but were unable to check into the new hotel until 11:00. We sat in the breakfast room chatting some more about what today might bring, and what we might do with Cherri & Hardin and the morning news was on the TV behind me, churning out the latest events locally and nationally. For some reason, half way through brekky, I turned to look at the TV and noticed, right there on the shelf beside it was another TV, but this was not tuned into a station, this was showing the view of the security camera which surveyed the exterior of the front door and the steps. The very same steps we sat on at 2 in the morning in our night clothes...lol



We decided that we would walk down the road and see if we could hook up with Cherrie & Hardin earlier than planned. Originally we hadn't planned to travel up the day before and so our timings gave us more time. We tried the hotel we were booked into that night, but the owner was unable to tell us if they were there or not. We would have to wait until we booked in, when his son would be able to furnish us with this information.

We did a little wandering, and sat in the park for a while, watching a very cute dog fetching a stick, well it was more of a small branch really, for his owner's amusement.

There were a group of guys on the next bench along the park, a little lively but harmless looking.

One of the older guys approached us and began to sing for us, it was quite amusing really, and some of the other guys in the group seemed to think so too. He saw the camera and said we should take his photo, so we did, of course. For a while, he sat on the bench with us, telling tales of his daughter and his life and was really very friendly. After a small ruck broke out between a girl and one of the guys on the other bench, we thought it was time to move on, and left again.

It was time. Time to collect our suitcases from hotel one and move into hotel two. I think we were both quite nervous about meeting Cherrie & Hardin. We didn't know them as well as we had gotten to know each other over the past couple of years. I didn't even know what they looked like! But it was exciting. Heading for the hotel, wondering what the first words would be. It was earlier than planned, would they even be there?

We'd had a laugh walking down the road as to how you ask the whereabouts of someone you think you remember the first name of but have absolutely NO idea of their surname!!! We checked in and then asked, referring to them by christian names only.

"The American couple" came the reply from the owners son,
"Yes, they checked in yesterday, and they are in room 21"

Phew, that was easy. We took our cases to the room, and went to knock on their door. Stood like two little, giggly school girls in the corridor, each egging the other one to front the initial introductions!

"You knock"

"No, you knock"

This went on for what seemed like ages, whilst the maid in the corridor gave us wry looks with a somewhat confused look on her face. Eventually, Laney knocked, and we stood there waiting. And waiting. No reply. A little disappointed, we returned to our room to sort out our bags and returned half an hour later to try again. This time, the conversation about who was to knock started on the stairs, way before we got to the room...lol... but again, no reply. We realised our impatience was not going to pay off and we would have to wait until 12:30 to meet them in the lobby.

When they came in it seemed strange but lovely to finally put faces to the literary friends. In no time at all we were chatting away and they were telling us of the great morning they'd had watching the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. After a short discussion, and a freshen up we all headed off to the tube into the city. We had decided, mostly because of my condition and partly because of time constraints, to take a Big Bus Tour of the City's landmarks and points of interest. Cherrie was lovely, and had a smile to die for. Unfortunately I can't show you the photograph I took of her on the bus, as like me, she stays anonymous on her blog. Hardin was a complete love. He was so organised with directions and his research on the area we stayed in.

They filled us with stories of their lives, current and past, and kept us entertained for hours with tales of home. On the way into the city, the three of them were on one esculator and I on the adjoining one travelling up to ground level. Cherrie decided to race me. Oh dear, why can I never resist a challenge??? As knackered as I was, before I even remember making a conscious decision to race her, I was running up the esculator for all I was worth, lol.

The tour guide on the bus was quite amusing too which added to the enjoyment. Every chance we got, Laney, Hardin and I were snapping away with our cameras.

Being in motion at the time meant most of them were pretty awful, at least mine were, but C&H seemed to enjoy the trip and Laney and I enjoyed not just the sites, but the rest from walking too!



This is us on the open topped Big Bus reflected in one of the buildings, I forget which one.



We alighted the bus and got onto the City Cruiser boat on the South Bank, all included in the ticket price for a very enjoyable trip down the Thames and yet more photo opportunities.

I love this shot I took of the underside of Blackfriars Bridge, (least, I think it was Blackfriars). The single colour dancing with the sunshine and shadows appealed to me.

In the evening, the ever resourceful Hardin, had been online to check out the reviews for some local restaurants, and we all set off in a taxi for dinner. It was just a short trip and in no time we were seated in a lovely little Italian restaurant. There was just one other couple there, which was either a sign that the locals knew better than to entrust their digestive systems to this eatery, or the luck of the draw because it was a mid-week evening.

We chatted whilst we perused the menu's and the waitress took our order. Hardin chose the wine, then Laney changed his mind and he was so insistant that she have what she preferred. In fact, both Cherrie & Hardin went out of their way to ensure that both of us enjoyed our day and our evening too. They were fantastic company and I'm so glad that I had the chance to meet up with them. It turned out that we didn't need to worry about the food, the meal was very nice.

Much to mine and Laneys dismay, Hardin wouldn't let us pay for our meals, and quietly paid the entire bill whilst we were all still engrossed in conversation. Hardin, you were bad, but we did appreciate it, it was very sweet of you, thank you.

As we left the restaurant, a cab was driving by and I instinctively shot my hand in the air to stop it for us. It pulled over. I was so chuffed with myself...lol... I hailed a cab in London...lol... how sad am I, but I have never done it before!! (Mike, that was a rhetorical question love). Back at the hotel, Laney and I were presented with a gift of a bottle of wine each which Cherrie & Hardin had brought with them from their wine tasting trip to Paris. How lovely was that. It's a 2005 vintage, and Hardin explained that it should be at least 5 years old before it is drunk. Laney is struggling every day NOT to open hers!!! I can see her now, looking at the bottle longingly, lovingly, stroking it, almost tasting it.

To round off the evening, we walked a couple of minutes down the road and had a beer together.

What a lovely day, and one I will remember for a very long time. Thank you to both of you for sharing your short London trip with us.

Once back in our room; this one on the second floor, but with uncounted amount of steps, Laney obviously couldn't part herself from her bottle of wine to go outside for a ciggy... just look what she did!!!! Bad, bad girl, you wouldn't catch me having a crafty fag out of the window.













Finally, this was the view as we got ready for bed, a perfect end to a wonderful day.

33 comments:

Mike said...

A crafty ciggie out of the window eh. I went to visit a factory yesterday afternoon and everyone was blatantly smoking in the workplace. I was very impressed.

I glad you had a nice time in London and your bridge photo is very appealing.

One last thing.... In the Italian restaurant was there any "cuecumber" on the menu? ;)

Elaine Denning said...

Brilliant write up, Ali!

I love the bridge photo...and the last one is gorgeous. As for the ones of me, no comment. LoL.

Oh, what a great time we had. Butlins, here we come :) xx

Unknown said...

Hi Ali, boy have I been having a problem leaving comments lately. The little pop up window kept popping up too low down and I couldn't get to the publish button even when I turned the computer upside down and shook it!
Anyway it seems to have righted itself today so here goes....
London Part 1 and the pic of Laney in 'L is for' confirmed my supspicions that she should be known as Miss Chievous rather than Miss Understood..what an impish expression she has lol!
London Part 2...it looks like you all had a great time and the sunset pic rounds it off beautifully.

Unknown said...

suspicions even!

Ali said...

Mike ~ "I glad ..."???!!! Surely it's "I'm glad ..." or even "I am glad ..."

... and no, there was no cucumber in sight! x

Laney ~ Did I send you the sunset photo, if not, would you like a copy?

Are we definitely going to do the Butlins thing?

Pauline ~ LMAO at you shaking computer and turning upside down!!!

Elaine Denning said...

I'd love the photo...and yes, we ARE doing Butlins. I'm just waiting for Showaddywaddy's next tour.

Ali said...

Showaddywaddy??????

LMFAO x 99999999999

You can't be serious. If we went when they were there I'd have to sing along to ALL their songs!!!! hahaha

IT Barman said...

Hi Ali

A great write up and glad you had a wonderful time, it must have been strange meeting people that you have spoken to lots but never seen face to face.

Ali said...

IT ~ I knew Laney well enough to know it would seem like the most natural thing in the world, but I wasn't sure about Cherri & Hardin. As it turned out, it wasn't strage at all.

ronjazz said...

The friendship between you two is so obvious. It makes me wanna jump right in the middle of all that fun and enthusiasm and gorgeous women!

photowannabe said...

Wonderful "travelogue" and good pictures too. It sounds like a great trip.

George said...

Great post Ali .. made me feel that I was there.

Good weekend

Neva said...

It sounds like it was a wonderful time.....I hope I can meet up with some fellow bloggers some day!!


My 100th post is Saturday...stop for a visit if you can!

mrsnesbitt said...

Loved the pic of the dog, reminded me of Churchill smoking a cigar! LOL! Great pics of the bridge, great post infact, reminded me of last years visit to London. Great.
Dx

kml said...

Sounds like you ladies are having quite a time!

Enjoyed the pics and the post!

Akelamalu said...

What a great time you had. Greatphotos, I can't see the last two though. :(

Ali said...

Ronjazz ~ If you have read Laney's post and/or spoken to Cherrie you will know that the 3 of us are not just gorgeous, we are 'fucking gorgeous' lol, least the drunk guy thought so!!!

Photowannabe ~ We had a blast, it was just a shame it couldn't have been longer.

Ali said...

George ~ Thx honey, it has certainly made my year to meet Laney.

Neva ~ If you have made a strong online friendship I can highly recommend it.

Will pop over for you anniversary.

Denise ~ lol @ Churchill comment. x

Ali said...

KML ~ We did indeed

Akelamalu ~ We had a fab time, filled with lots of laughs. Shame about the last 2 photo's though.

Evening said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. And your pictures are fantastic.
You know, Ali, Cherrie lives fairly close to me, so when you and Laney decide it is time to come to the states and visit her, you will not be let out of town without having to come and see me.
xo

ellie said...

The sky in the final picture is amazing. Can't wait for the Butlins write up though ..... Shawaddywaddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMFAO

Elaine Denning said...

i WaNnA teLL ya...
ThAt I loVe ya...
and i WanT You tO be My GiRl
LiTtle dArLiN LeT's wAlK. LeT'S TaLk.
UndEr tHe MooN oF LOVe.

(thE mOOn Of LoVe)

*Ahh. Happy days*

Akelamalu said...

Oh I can see them now!

Ali said...

Evening ~ If I/we ever got over there, you would be at the top of the visitor list. How could we go that far without?

It's getting Laney to leave that will be the problem, not getting her to visit. If she turns up with an oversized suitcase, beware!!!

Ali said...

You were looking so lovely, under the moon of love,
Your eyes shining so brightly, under the moon of love,
I wanna go, all the time, and be my love tonight,
Little darling let's walk, let's talk, under the moon of love.

~ heaven help us all ~

Ali said...

Ellie ~ I love that photo too, it was one of those sights that instinctively has you reaching for the camera.

Akelamalu ~ don't encourage us, we're bad enough as it is when we get together!!! lol

Mike said...

My spelling mistake "I glad" was just to make you feel a bit better about yourself. I wanted to let you know everything's okay and that you're not alone....... you're never going to buy that one are you? lol

Ali said...

Mike ~ Absobloodylutelynot!x

Miss Construed... said...

I'm so jealous of you both!

Jackie Adshead said...

Glad to read you had as much fun with Cherrie and Hardin as I did - they're a delightful couple aren't they?!

Ali said...

Jackie ~ They are indeed, and I'm so glad I had the chance to meet them.

Tamara said...

Just looked at your blog and I love you, not in that way but you are so witty and down to earth.

Ali said...

Tamara ~ Thank you, you're very sweet and I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.