Thought for the Week

"A hug is a perfect gift - one size fits all and nobody minds if you give it back."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Memory Monday - A Son is born

I had a theme in mind today, but after reading a couple of other entries about motherhood, I thought I would run with it too.

I remember the day my first was born like yesterday, it was 22 years ago. I was just 17, and had a good pregnancy but after 17 hours of labour there was no progression and so the doctors decided to perform a caesarian section. 17 hours earlier it would have horrified me, but now, now I just wanted to get it over with. They prepared me for theatre, increased the dose of anaesthetic in my epidural and took me to the operating room. 20 minutes later, I was being stitched up and holding the most fantastic, most adorable, most precious little bundle I had ever seen. I had tears in my eyes and my heart beat so hard against my chest that I thought it may burst. I was SO proud. I had blossomed in the previous 9 months, from carefree teenager to mature, responsible adult. Suddenly it dawned on me just what a massive responsibility I was cuddling. His entire future was my responsibility.

I was still living at home at the time and my parents were fantastic. My son was born the day after my Dad's birthday, and being the first grandchild, they formed a very close bond. His job meant that when he was on an early shift he would be up at 4am and we spent many a morning when my son was still waking at nights, sat at the dining room table with Dad whilst he had his breakfast. I say 'we' I mean at 4am I was there in body, the enthusiasm somehow never quite made it downstairs that early in the day. Dad and his grandson would chatter away; strictly speaking Dad would chatter and my son would ga-ga. They would play cars across the table, often using Dad's cereal dish as a roundabout and the smallest child would squeal with delight when they crashed into each other. How often did I say 'Don't get him too excited, I will never get him back off to sleep'? It never made any difference of course, Dad was smitten with his first grandchild, and his first grandchild loved him to bits.

My mum was fantastic too. I was lucky in that she was at home full time and she was my rock. She was the one who basked with me in the glorious sunshine of the happy days; the one to steady my ship on the stormy days and the one who lit a torch for me on the dark days so I could find my way. Being a single Mum is one of the toughest things I have ever done, and without my own parents encouragement and support I am not sure I would have got through it unscathed.

My mum visited me one day, after I was in my own home with my soon to be husband, and my son had a cut on his arm. He had been hurtling around the garden on his little sit-n-ride car in his usual cavalier way, two wheels round every corner and as fast as his little, chubby legs could manage down the straights. Of course, when you're 2 years old, two wheels are not always enough to keep you upright! He came tumbling off and had caught his arm on a sharp stone in the lawn. My mum asked him how he had hurt himself and cool as you like, not a nano second of hesitation, he replied:

"Oh, I cut it on one of Mummy's kitchen knives"

Well! You could have knocked me down with a feather. The little terror had run straight back out to the garden to carry on his game of football, and I was left sat there with my mum with a look of total disbelief. Did I hear that right? By the brief look of absolute horror followed by fits of laughter from my mum I guess I did. Thank goodness it hadn't been the Health Visitor asking the question!!!

I have so many memories, happy memories of the time spent with my children growing up. As Elaine said, I wonder how many I have forgotten. The tales relayed here were only remembered as I started to write, I was quite surprised myself by them. I guess that means that getting older is not necessarily bad for the memory, we just have to dig a bit deeper to find the buried treasure.

I think I will see how many more memories I can recall that I have not thought of in a long while. Maybe I will make Mondays, Mystery Memory Monday, and start each new week with some enchanting, fond memory of the last 22 years, yes that's what I will do, anyone care to join me?

If you want to take part in Memory Monday click here

4 comments:

Cherrie said...

I loved reading this tale about your motherhood, and it's wonderful that your parents were so supportive. I need to learn more about your son, but it sounds like he had a happy, memorable childhood.

Why not come up with memories every Monday? I'll read them!

And you're right about forgetting things. When I was pregnant with my first daughter, we bought a video recorder to make sure we captured all the sights, sounds and memories of our children growing up. Now we have many tapes we can watch to show us what they looked like, what they sounded like, and what they did when they were little. (Note to self: need to transfer them to DVD, but they are still doing fine.)

Ali said...

Cherrie - On your recommendation alone I will definitely make Mondays my Mystery Memory day. It is surprising what comes to mind when you start typing, or maybe I just have typist darrhoea - lol. You are lucky to have had the forethought to take so much video, it is so much better than memory alone.

Elaine Denning said...

God, I wish I had video back then. MMM- I'll play! What a great idea. Ali...you now need to design a little button, and we can all put it on our sites!

Lovely memories there. I always love reading about your family x

Ali said...

Miss U ~ So glad you want to play Mystery Memory Monday too, I am always completely mesmorised by your writing, can't wait

PS - I hope you have had a great Wedding Anniversary. x