Thought for the Week

"A hug is a perfect gift - one size fits all and nobody minds if you give it back."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Out on the Bike

I was feeling pretty fed up when I left work on Friday, but in the context of keeping my whining for other places I won't go into detail.

Hubby had a day off work and so he picked me up with the intention that I drop him back at home so I could take myself off down the gym as I do every Friday after work. Once back at home I suggested maybe I should give the gym a miss, and as the weather was so nice and he was on a day off, maybe we should go for a spin on the bike instead.

This is one of our favourite pass times when the weather is fine and I knew that spending time with him coupled with the fantastic feeling of the wind in your face heading off to wherever your fancy takes you would blow those cobwebs away just fine.







... and I was right. Above are a few pictures I took from ontop of the Cliffs at Dover, sitting above one of the busiest Ports in the world relaxing with my husband. The views looking down onto the Cliff face were taken from further along, once we had negotiated the winding chalk path just a foot or so from the edge of the cliff, if only it had been clearer weather.

We jumped back on the bike and went to Samphire Hoe. This is a piece of manmade land with strong sea wall where you can stand and look back at the Cliff front, which used to be where the sea came in to. On a clear day, if you look out to sea, it is possible to see both Calais and Boulogne. Samphire Hoe was created from the 4.9 million tons of earth and chalk which was removed during the construction of the Channel Tunnel, and now makes this enchanting, peaceful place.

6 comments:

Elaine Denning said...

That just brought back memories of a school trip to France. I was soooo homesick...and on the return trip, when the white cliffs came into view from the ferry, it really was a beautiful sight.

Years later, on another trip to France, I felt slightly different and couldn't wait to leave England! Watching the cliffs disappear and sink into the horizon was amazing.

Loved the pics Ali x

Suze said...

Great images Ali. Welcome to the Blogosphere and look forward to reading you. :)

Ali said...

Miss U - SO GOOD to see you back girl. Isn't it strange how you take things for granted when you see them so often, I figured I needed to start appreciating the beauty around me in the so called 'Garden of England' and this was the first stage!!!

suze - Thank you for dropping by and for your kind comments. After a very quick sneek at your blog I can see I'm going have to clear next weeks diary to give me a chance to read it!! How could I resist such a topic?

Cherrie said...

My dear friend Miss U suggested that I come over here from the States to visit, and I'm glad I did! Lovely scenic photos! We have a place (Mackinac Island in Michigan) that's sort of like that . . . but motor vehicles are not allowed, so biking is safe and carefree! I'll take everyone there someday on my blog . . .

Ali said...

cherrie - I would love for you to take us all to Mackinac Island one day.

Cherrie said...

OK, you're on! I just have to remember where in the computer I filed the photos from my last visit . . .

I've got some entries in progress, but maybe next week I'll cook something up. It's getting to be peak color season up there.