Thought for the Week

"A hug is a perfect gift - one size fits all and nobody minds if you give it back."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Dying to Live

Another news story on my homepage caught my eye today, and made me wonder what I would have done had I found myself in the same situation as poor old Mr. Brandrick.

It's the age old question: "What would you do if you were told you only had one year left to live"?

I cannot imagine the turmoil this kind of news creates in one's life, or for that matter in the lives of those closest to you.

Apart from the fact that I would hate for people to tiptoe around me for fear of saying the wrong thing, or upsetting me, I would really hate for people to treat me differently.

First reactions - "Holy Shit", quickly followed by a complete nervous breakdown, and a couple of days of feeling sorry for myself. I would hope that following this self absorbed wallowing, I could and would be as brave as someone else I know that is in this very situation.

My initial thoughts I'm sure, would be about what I would miss with husband, my children, future grandchildren and my closest friends. Maybe that's selfish, maybe it's just survival.

I know for sure that I would treasure every single second of what time I had left and that I would ensure all those people knew how I felt about them, how much I loved them and how proud I was to be their mother, wife and/or friend. In that respect, I think knowing the end is nigh, is a blessing. How many people really get the chance to voice all those unspoken thoughts before they are taken from this world?

Then what? What comes after that?

Would I tell my enemies EXACTLY what I thought of them too? Tempting I guess, but surely a needless waste of precious time.

I would definitely plan my own funeral. Though my family know that the two cardinal rules when I die are absolutely NO black at my funeral, and bury me. If they burn me I have vowed to come back and haunt them...forever!!!

Would I go on a spending spree? Maybe visit all the places in the world I have ever wanted to see? Buy that sexy little sports car I always dreamed of owning one day?

Who can really say what they would do unless they are faced with the situation for real?

This is the story of one guy, who was told he had not long left to live:

LONDON (Reuters) - A British man who went on a wild spending spree after doctors said he only had a short time to live wants compensation because the diagnosis was wrong and he is now healthy -- but broke.

John Brandrick, 62, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer two years ago and told that he would probably die within a year. He quit his job, sold or gave away nearly all his possessions, stopped paying his mortgage and spent his savings dining out and going on holiday.

Brandrick was left with little more than the black suit, white shirt and red tie that he had planned to be buried in when it emerged a year later that his suspected "tumor" was no more than a non-life threatening inflammation of the pancreas.

"When they tell you you've got a limited time and everything, you do enjoy life," Brandrick, from Cornwall in the west of England, told Sky television.

"I'm really pleased that I've got a second chance in life... but if you haven't got no money after all this, which is my fault -- I spent it all -- they should pay something back."

If he can't get compensation, he is considering selling his house or suing the hospital that diagnosed him. The hospital has said that while it sympathizes with Brandrick, a review of his case showed no different diagnosis would have been made.

I don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for the guy. He has a point doesn't he? So the question remains - If you were told you only had a year left, what would you do?

13 comments:

IT Barman said...

I heard this on the news yesterday and ok I agree with what he is doing but at least he has done things that he never would have done.

Elaine Denning said...

Oh God, what a situation!

All I know is that if I was given a year to live, I wouldn't screw the top back on my wine and say "that's enough for tonight.

Tim, my friend, was given 3-6 months (3 months ago, and still going strong). He initially envisaged doing all sorts of things if he ever found himself in that situation, but sadly, the reality is very different.

That's a toughie, Ali.
I'd like to to think I'd die with no regrets.
If I had 6 months...12 months... I'd be meeting you, for sure. x

Ali said...

IT ~ I agree, how fantastic to have lived your dream and still be living... on the other hand, how awful to have sold/given away almost everything you own and be left with nothing. Is a tough call indeed.

Miss U ~ I thought the same, if I was given just a short time to live, I would be down your neck of the woods one day damn soon to take the top right back off that wine bottle!

I'm glad Tim is still going strong, I think about him often.

Mike said...

You know, I've been thinking about this since yesterday and I still don't know what to put.

I'm working on it. :)

Anonymous said...

I read that story and felt sorry for the man, but I don't think he has a chance of winning his case. If I had a year to live, I like to think I'd be able to do some of the things I have always wanted to do, as long as I had money to do them and my body allowed me.

Ali said...

Mike ~ I did know honey, I can hear it ticking!! lol

No, seriously, it's quite a toughie isn't it. I could have bored the pants off you, (not literally of course ;o)) with all the different thoughts I had...

so... tick, tock... let's hear some of yours!!x

Ali said...

Nicholas ~ I really feel for him too, and I wish there was a middle of the road way to find a solution for this guy, I really do, but at the end of the day, should the valuable resources of the NHS really have to consider paying this guy??

Oooppss!! In serious danger of getting on my soap box now!!! lol

IT Barman said...

Ah I see what your saying there Ali, but I have a feeling and I could be wrong but i think this would be covered by an insurance plan or something so hopefully wouldn't eat in to the budget of what is actually needed to help people recover (and send staff on training so this doesn't happen agin).

Ali said...

IT ~ we all know what happens to insurance premiums when you make a claim... just you wait and see what ours will both be next renewal after this earthquake fiasco!!!! lol

In Ink said...

I've tried to imagine 'what I'd do if...' for several situations but when a few of those things did happen to me I reacted differently. Go figure.

Whatever I did I hope I would spend as much time as I could with those closest to me and let them know how much I love them.

Then there would be beer. And whisky. And sex. Lots and lots of sex.

Ali said...

Michael ~ I know from life experience you can never really 'imagine what you would do if..." but I like your train of thought...

... so you weren't talking just curriculum based then were you!!! ;O)

In Ink said...

Curricular, extra curricular...I like it all.

In Ink said...
This comment has been removed by the author.