Thought for the Week

"A hug is a perfect gift - one size fits all and nobody minds if you give it back."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



My first 55-Fiction

I have been at it again. Although I understand it's a blog thing, I have stolen this from Michael's and Cathy's site, I hope you don't mind, but Cathy, the last trilogy of 55-fiction you wrote was so powerful as was Michael's 'I can't drive - 55' that it inspired me to try one myself.

I wrote some Haiku a few months ago, and whilst I don't have Miss U's or your talent for writing I do enjoy it, so I thought I would make you all suffer reading it!!

I googled it first, and came across this site 55-Fiction amongst many others. For anyone that doesn't know what 55-Fiction is, it provides a full history and explanation but this is the basic rules:

55 fiction is the art of writing a short story in 55 words or less. At first glance, it sounds ridiculous but if you read a few you may be suprised just how much you can say in such a short space.

A peice of 55-fiction must be a peice of fiction, not a poem, essay, a scene or an
errant thought. The New Times says that the story should have:

. A setting.
. A character or characters.
. Conflict.
. Resolution.

Subject to the above, the story can be about anything you want, but it should be no more than 55 words. You can write LESS than 55 words if you want.

Of course - The best writers in history have often broken all of the
rules and somehow got away with it - So... Why not?
So I began.

Lots and lots of hyperthetical, screwed up,tossed on the floor pages later, I have these two. The first, was a bit weak, so I had to try again.


BIG DAY HAS ARRIVED

Time to leave. Damn the weather, she thought, climbing into the drivers seat, and heading towards the town.

The man in the passenger seat left when she stopped but watched as another man got in. She drove off slowly.

When she returned, the men exchanged places again, and she tore up her ‘L’ plates, beaming.


TIREDNESS KILLS

He knew he should stop driving, exhausted as he was, but was desperate to get home, to surprise his wife, for her birthday.

He woke up, briefly, to sounds of grinding metal, breaking glass and screeching breaks behind him. Then darkness.


His wife when told “your husband’s dead” collapsed; I never told him I'm pregnant?


Now look what's happened, I'm in the mood for writing. This last one is loosely based around the 55-fiction rules, by loosley I mean it has 55 words, but it's more of a verse than a short story. I figured if the best writers can break the rules, so could I!


HELL ON EARTH

So sudden. So quick.
World in pause
Pain. Knife. Twist.
Heart is breaking.
Pieces. Torn.
I’m Suffocating. Can't breathe.
Panic. Help.
It can’t be. It can’t.
I love him.
He wouldn’t.
I’m Suffocating. Can’t breathe.
Numb.

Too Sudden. Too quick
No time for goodbye.
Pain. Knife. Twist.
I hope he knew,
I loved him.
NUMB.

15 comments:

Elaine Denning said...

Hell on Earth was fantastic Ali. So raw..... x

Loved the 55's too, especially the endings. I may have to give this a go.

Hemingway wrote a story in just 6 words. He said it was his finest piece of work:

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

Ali said...

Miss U ~ I enjoyed writing the 55's, like the Haiku, it's harder than it seems at first glance, but never one to shy away from a challenge, I will have another go next week.

Hell on Earth... well... x

You should have a go Laney, you are a fantastic writer. Can't wait to read it (them)

Cherrie said...

Wow, the last two are a little heavy for first thing in the morning, but the first one was fun! One question: what are "L" plates? Learner? At first I thought the man was sharing his wife, but then I thought no, maybe it's a girl taking her first driver's test.

Sometimes I think it's easier for the English to decipher American terms and slang than the opposite . . .

Momentary Madness said...

Great stuff. It is a great idea especiall in the blog world; in fact I remember readind about to be a good blogger and one of the tips recommended was to keep it short...naturally I didn't listen and have been rather long winded from the beginning.
Yes very cool Ali, very cool indeed...keep it up.
Y;-) Paddy

Ali said...

Cherrie ~ I hope I didn't ruin your breakfast!!!

Yes 'L' plates are white squares with a big red 'L' on them that all learner drivers have to display, by law, when they drive. Once they have passed, they don't have to display anything, but green 'P' plates can be used if they wish to make other drivers aware that they are newly qualified and hence may be a little hesitant.

Paddy ~ Oh, thanks honey. The 'sad' stuff seems easier to write meaningfully than the happy stuff. Maybe because of the lack of words available. Will try to keep the balance though.

IT Barman said...

Hey ali some great peices there, also your english test made me laugh. But see if you can do the happier side of 55 ;)

In Ink said...

I liked them all especially the first because it was a happy 55, a rare thing on mine and Cathy's blogs. Maybe you felt it was weak because it was upbeat? If so you'd be wrong. It evoked a response just as powerful as the other two because I remembered the elation I felt when I passed the test.

More!

Ali said...

IT ~ Come on, are you telling me you didn't try the English test? You're scared aren't you??? lol.

I will try another happy 55 next week, promise!

Ali said...

Michael ~ glad you enjoyed my first couple of attempts. You hit the nail on the head about why I thought it was weak, I'm glad it still evoked feelings.

In Ink said...

You're welcome, and its humbling to know that I inspired you in some small way. That doesn't happen a lot :)

ellie said...

Hi Ali
Thanks for your comments over at mine.

I had never heard of 55s until I read this post.
I love your stories especially "Tiredness Kills".
Amazing how so few words can say so much.

mrsnesbitt said...

never heard of 55s before but was excellent to read on a day where we need something to take us away from the rain and grey!

Ali said...

MrsNesbitt ~ Thank you for stopping by. The weather has been pretty miserable here over the holiday weekend, but is brighter today ... for now!!

cathy said...

I agree with michael the blogsphere needs more happy 55ers!

Ali said...

Cathy ~ I have taken that comment on board and tomorrow I will post a Happy 55. I do find it much harder though!