Thought for the Week

"A hug is a perfect gift - one size fits all and nobody minds if you give it back."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Parental Pride?

Today's entry is quite possibly the best entry I have ever written.

Unfortunately, the brick wall that stands between me and the typed word will prevent you all from ever reading it!!

So instead...

A news piece here in England caught my attention this week. Entitled "2 year old girl joins Mensa", it made me wonder how the hell that could be possible.

Here is the version from the net:


Brainy toddler Georgia Brown has become the youngest member of Mensa – aged two. Georgia has an IQ of 152, putting her in the most intelligent 0.2 per cent of the population, reports the Daily Mirror.

Mum Lucy, 44, said: "She was crawling at five months and walking by nine months. She would sit and read with a book."

Prof Joan Freeman, who set the IQ test, said: "She swept right through it like a hot knife through butter."

Lucy, boss of charity Disability Initiative, said Georgia benefits from having a large family – siblings Ben, 24, Sophie, 22, Charlotte, 20, and Olivia, 16, plus carpenter dad Martin, 51.

She added: "There is always someone around to offer her something." Georgia, from Aldershot, Hampshire, can count to 10, draw a near perfect circle, and knows all her colours and the difference between a square and a rectangle.

Maybe I am just a cynic, but I beg to question how crawling at 5 months and walking at 9 correlates to being in the most intelligent 0.2% of the population!! I realise that it is a fairly early age to accomplish these tasks, but by no means are they unprecedented in baby world.

Now, at the age of 2 she can apparently count to 10 and knows all her colours. Is it just me or does this not seem all that remarkable?

Maybe it is an indication that she absorbs information easily, and retains it well. Maybe it is indicative of what might be if her thirst for knowledge continues as she grows older. It certainly makes a mother proud when her tot learns these things for the first time. I remember beaming when mine did it too.

She is obviously, at least for now, a bright girl, but it seems to me the British Press are blowing the story up for the sake of having a story. Not at all like the Press!!!

The other thought, that I can't shake off, is that bright, intelligent youngsters are rarely catered for in British Schools. Their love of learning, and their sheer ability to absorb and retain knowledge is all too often stripped away from them once they begin mainstream education. A teacher, with 30 pupils, cannot teach each one individually. If there is one unusually bright child amongst 29 average children, you can bet your life the bright infant will soon be bored and frustrated at the lack of anything challenging. The enthusiasm shown in the early years often wanes, until the good old British Education system has brought them down to the level of her classmates.

I hope for Georgia's sake, if she is potentially as intelligent as the report suggests, that she can be an exception. You go girl.

19 comments:

In Ink said...

It was a slow news day. More worrying than what will happen when she gets into the 'education' system is WTF are her parents doing exposing a two year old to national media coverage? They sure as hell aren't doing it for the child.

Ali said...

Michael ~ I'm with 100% on that one. I just thought it prudent to shut up before I bored the pants of you all with my gripes!!!

Elaine Denning said...

Hey! I have a new link! How cool is that? Woohoo!!!! Woot Woot!

Uh hum...sorry, where was I?

I am sure Dan could count to ten at that age. Almost positive.
At least I think I am.

I feel a blog entry coming up!

Elaine Denning said...

Unfortunately, he doesn't yet know all his colours.

mrsnesbitt said...

TOTALLY AGREE HERE!

dX

Ali said...

Laney ~ I thought I'd treat you with a new one, I wore the old one out anyway!

I still have a problem with colours too, if you ask G about it.. lol.. we're are always disagreeing on whether something is blue or green!

Mrs N ~ Thank you. You have revived my self belief. I did wonder whether I was just being mean, to say I didn't think it was SUCH a great achievement.

Anonymous said...

i could walk at 9 months, but the only time i can make a circle is when i walk in a straight line from the pub. jangle

ellie said...

Poor kid. It's one thing to stimulate and encourage your child but there is nothing sadder than seeing those kids who have missed out on a childhood because of the parents desire to have them achieve!

In Ink said...

Ali - too late.

:op

Mike said...

Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous. Bloody idiots. (not everyone here on Ali's blog btw lol)

Elaine Denning said...

HAPPY THURSDAY ALI!!

Ali said...

Laney ~ Thank you sweetie x

Ali said...

Loz ~ you do circles... lol ... I do zig-zags... always seems like such a LONG way home!! At least it gives me time to finish the kebab!

Ellie ~ Even worse than that is that the parents would never admit it was for their benefit.

Michael ~ damn, I should have rambled some more.. lol

Mike ~ I'm glad you clarified that for us all.

Mike said...

You know what I really hate Ali... pushy parents. I get so angry with them. There's a pushy parent mother that takes her daughter to the same school as my kids. The poor kid's been on tv adverts, hundreds of auditions for singing/dancing/acting. You name it she's been made to do it. The other week her mum dragged her to Britain's Got Talent. The woman actually featured on the tv show Pushy Parents!

Rant over.

How are you today?

Ali said...

Mike ~ I guess some kids just love to perform. Like adults, some get a buzz out of being the centre of attention when they perform in public, but responsible parenting, in my book, means providing the child with a balance and ensuring that they also get to be a child before it's too late.

You rant all you like.

I'm pretty good today thanks Mike.

How's your photo doing?

Mike said...

I don't think she likes it all half as much as her mother but there we go.

The photo is getting there thanks. Almost happy with it now.

Anonymous said...

Ali,you do kebabs ! i love you !

Ali said...

Loz ~ Sometimes I eat kebab after a night on the town, sometimes I wear it!! Easy come, easy go. lol

Cherrie said...

By now I'm wondering if she's matriculating at Oxford . . .