Thought for the Week

"A hug is a perfect gift - one size fits all and nobody minds if you give it back."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



2nd Meme of the week.

1. If you could remove one evil from the world what would it be ?

Cancer. It is such a totally destructive illness, even though it has a higher survival rate than it did 20 years ago. I would be surprised if there is a single person that doesn't know, or know of, someone who has or is suffering at the hands of this cruel illness.

I personally, have already lost a very good friend to it, he was 42 years old and from the time he was diagnosed to the time he died, it was just 3 short weeks. I have also seen breast cancer come down my mothers side of the family and have been told that instead of a 1/11 chance of developing it as for most women, my odds have dropped to 1/4. If I could rid the world of only one evil, it would be this.

2. What is your most enduring memory of your teenage years ?

Oh my goodness. Just one memory? Gosh this one's tough Pauline. It has to be either giving birth to my first child or getting married. Both were done waaayyyyyyyy back when I was still a teenager and they are two of the most enduring memories of my life. I can remember every single detail of both occasions with crystal clarity... no mean feat when I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night!

3. If you were to leave everything to one good cause what would it be ?

I have to say that I wouldn't leave everything to one good cause. I believe in looking after my family first, and if I didn't have any, I would share it around a few good causes. However, if I had to choose just one, I guess it would be the County Search & Rescue team. I already give my time, both for search operations and fund raising efforts, so it would make sense to leave it to them. They get absolutely no funding from government or local councils and run solely on the goodwill of its members and donations.

4. What was your greatest treasure as a child ?

Probably my clarinet. I wanted to have private music lessons at school but to do that I needed my own instrument. Money was always very scarce in our house when I was growing up and I knew that my parents would never be able to afford to buy me one. One bright summers day as we were walking through the gates of my school to attend the summer fete, Dad announced that when we left there we were going to collect my new clarinet!!! I was so taken aback I almost cried (and that wasn't a cool thing for a 12 year old girl to do in front of her mates at school). Dad had worked so much overtime to earn enough to give me the opportunity to own and learn to play the clarinet. I don't play anymore, haven't for years, but I still own it, and I still get it out occasionally and admire it, and what it took for Dad to get it for me.

5. If you could choose anyone at all, who would you invite to dinner ?

My Dad. I miss him terribly since his death. If I could have anybody at all to dinner, it would be him. There are 3 questions I would like to ask him and I would like to tell him how much I love him, just in case he ever doubted it. Then we would catch up on what's been happening since he left, and when I tell him all about the grandchildren he last saw as infants, his chest will expand with pride, just like it used to do for me and my siblings.

16 comments:

In Ink said...

:)

Ali said...

Michael ~ :o) right back at ya honey!

Unknown said...

Your dad sounds like a great guy. Thanks for the brill answers ali!

mrsnesbitt said...

Somedeep questions there honeybunch, but well thought out answers. Well done you!

Have a good weekend!
Will be telling you about mine later!

LOL!
Dxx

Dan said...

Ali, hugs to you for picking cancer. I literally watched my father-in-law attacked my a cancerous tumor growing under his ear. It was just terrible, the body attacking itself. :( He died a few years ago.

More hugs to your for missing you dad. We've talked about this before. I lost my dad just before Christmas, and going through all of the holidays for the first time without him, is so sad. Does it get any better Sweetie? I hope so.

Hugs and love Ali.

Ali said...

Pauline ~ He was the best x They were tougher than I thought they would be .. lol, thx for making me stop and think about my life.

Denise ~ They were a bit weren't they! I need email Mrs N. x

Dan ~ The first of everything without them is painful, the pain lessons to a degree, but I miss him constantly.

Thx for the hugs, I needed them today. x

mrsnesbitt said...

Imiss my Dad too...August 13th 1986 he died.
I especially think of him now, around this time.

my email..
denisedotnesbittatbtinternetdotcom

Annie said...

Next time you take out your clarinet, play a little tune on it. I bet your dad will hear it all the way up in heaven.

Ali said...

Denise ~ It's good to remember them, and missing them only goes to show what a tight bond there was.

I didn't mean I want your addy, lol, I want to hear from you re: this mornings email..d'oh!!!

Ali said...

Annie ~ What a wonderful thought. I have occasionally had a little tune when I have taken it out of it's case, but have never thought of him listening, thx sweetie, next time I will play it for him.

Cherrie said...

A sweet post with equally thoughtful comments. I do hope something can be done to vanquish cancer.

Ali said...

Cherrie ~ I'm sure with all the support that cancer charities have nowadays a cure will one day be found. It's just a matter of time

mrsnesbitt said...

This mornings e-mail...oh yes....all is OK, just routine!


Dxxxxxxxxxxx

British Superbikes Tomorrow..........

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh yes my camera is packed! It is 5.45pm and at 8pm I have to ring my pal, Shaun Muir, manager of the Hydrax Honda race team...they are in 10th position on starting grid tomorrow. Karl Harris is the racer...well Shaun is giving me the 2 tickets! Do try and watch the TV, I will do my best to get lots of pics...I do know a lot of the racers! Oh and in the Supersport Races.....look out for Dennis Hobbs! I taught him when he was 7!

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

Ali said...

Denise ~ Thx, glad all was OK. x

Kristi said...

Your clarinet is like my trip to Germany. I wanted to go so badly the summer before my senior year in high school, but I knew it was asking a lot of my parents. It was for my German Language class. My mom and dad didn't have that kind of money. But some how my father worked up the cash to get me that plane ticket. He said that he never got to travel in his life, but he wanted me to have the chance. I will forever be in debt to him for that - as well as for helping me pay for college. I guess we're lucky - our parents were good, loving people.

Ali said...

Kristi ~ I think we were lucky, plenty of people are no so fortunate but I cant imagine my childhood without them.