Thought for the Week

"A hug is a perfect gift - one size fits all and nobody minds if you give it back."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



'B' is for ...

'B' is for... BARK

I have a White Poplar Tree in my garden, which is very mature, and the bark has a very rough texture.


It splits easily, which provides a huge amount of housing for the woodlice and a myriad of other, unmentionable creatures.




The birds love it though. I use this tree to hang my bird feeder and fat balls in so that they are well fed. I love having the space to be able to sit out in the sun, relaxing, and watching the birds flit from bush to shrub and tree to tree.

What I love most about the bark on this tree is the way the lichen grows on it. With that and the bark, and the dark colouring from beneath the splits, the trunk is a kaleidoscope of colours. It reminds me of coral on the sea bed, it's beautiful close up.


16 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

You can "FEEL" the texture of the photograph!

Fantastic!

Ali said...

Mrs N ~ Then I achieved my goal, thank you.

Elaine Denning said...

So B 'wasn't' for boobies then? Mike will be disappointed!

You're right...it does look like coral. Has the chiggypig got a name?

Ali said...

Laney ~ LOL, I'm sure Mike's had a lucky escape!!!

Chiggypig?? Do you mean woodlouse? He doesn't, I can't say I stopped long enough to consider what it would be, strangely enough!!!

What should we call him?

Anonymous said...

I love your B. I just want to touch the tree.

Ali said...

DWQ ~ Thanks for dropping by again. I am loving this new weekly slot of Denise's.

Dx said...

Great pics and, I agree, the texture is almost touchable.

Elaine Denning said...

Michael?

Annie said...

B's mentioned include bark, bug, birds, balls, bush, (sea)bed, and don't forget BEAUTIFULLY done photos, all.

Ali, it's so nice to meet you. I'll see you again soon.

Annie

gma said...

Mmmm I'm a tree hugger...
Love your photos

Mike said...

I knew Ali and I could eventually agree on something..... She's right, I probably did have a lucky escape lol :P

Lovely photos. Fantastic textures. The first photo looks razor sharp. Personally I prefer the last photo. Great texture and colours. Can't wait until next week.

RUTH said...

Great photos Ali; I love the look of the lichen...like a mini forest :o)

George said...

Great shots ... sound like you love your tree as much as I do my magnolia tree ... also very mature, 55 yrs old

Ali said...

DX ~ thank you. Its great to see all the different things people photograph for the same letter.

Laney ~ Perfect. He's wandered off somewhere too, just like that woodlouse did!!

Annie ~ You're good at this, I can see a theme coming here!! lol. Might have to work on the 'C' entry and see how many I can make!!!

Gemma ~ Thx for stopping by. We should have more trees.

Mike ~ Hahaha, reverse pyschology will NOT work!!! Glad you liked the pics though. x

Ruth ~ It is like a little forest all of its own isn't it. I had never seen it like that before. Thx.

George ~ Long time no hear George. I do love my trees, when I has a poststamp size garden I never had room.

Unknown said...

Michael ? That seems an unlikely name for a woodlouse or indeed any other kind of louse come to that but then maybe I'm biased because I just can't imagine the Michael I know as any kind of bug.

Unknown said...

Hey not fair, blogger just stole half my comment...it should also say,
I guess there are all sorts of Michaels though!